|Category||Data Science||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
Envision being a member of a small, agile team where your ideas reach millions within months, not years. Picture working on groundbreaking consumer-facing products, where every single team member is a critical voice in the way we make decisions. Envision being able to use the resources of a Fortune-500 company within the atmosphere of a start-up. Welcome to Amazon Music, where ideas are born amongst engineers, and come to life as the Digital mp3 Store, Cloud Player, and Prime Music ad-free streaming.
In San Francisco we own and develop Amazon's core digital music experiences such as the Cloud Player music locker and the MP3 Store, which has a catalog of 25 million songs from all major music labels. Our music offerings are available in multiple countries, and our applications support our mission of delivering Your Music, Everywhere. We can be found on mobile and tablet platforms such as Kindle Fire, iOS, and Android as well as on Home and Auto platforms.
We are located in downtown San Francisco in the heart of the financial district. We're easy to reach by bike, bus, MUNI and BART.
Technical and leadership responsibilities:
• Interact with marketing, science, and business teams to develop an understanding and domain knowledge of processes, system structures, and business requirements.
• Apply domain knowledge and business judgment to identify opportunities and quantify the impact aligning research direction to business requirements and make the right judgment on research project prioritization.
• Create prototypes and simulations to test devised solutions.
• Advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive level decision makers.
• Work closely with data engineers to integrate prototypes into production systems.
• Create policy evaluation methods to track the actual performance of devised solutions in production systems, identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to improve the solution with new features.
• Excel in evaluating the skill sets of candidates to make successful hiring decisions to meet business needs.
• Contribute to progress of the Amazon and broader research communities by producing publications
• Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or improving system performance.
• Analyze historical data to identify trends and support decision making.
• Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
• Provide requirements to develop analytic capabilities, platforms, and pipelines.
• Apply statistical or machine learning knowledge to specific business problems and data.
• Formalize assumptions about how users are expected to behave, create statistical definition of the outlier, and develop methods to systematically identify these outliers. Work out why such examples are outliers and define if any actions needed.
• Given anecdotes about anomalies or generate automatic scripts to define anomalies, deep dive to explain why they happen, and identify fixes.
• Make decisions and recommendations.
• Build decision-making models and propose solution for the business problem you defined.
• Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
• Utilize code (Python/R/SQL) for data analyzing and modeling algorithms.
• Bachelor's Degree
• 5+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
• 4+ years working as a Data Scientist
• Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, or any other quantitative field
• Experience analyzing web logs, mobile data, and customer data sets
• Hands-on experience with Hadoop/MapReduce or other Big Data technologies
• Knowledge and experience manipulating data using PL/SQL, Ruby, Java, and/or Python
• Experience working closely with product and engineering teams to find opportunities through data analysis
• Internet/Music industry experience
• A self-starter who loves data and who enjoys spotting the trends in it!
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records