|Category||Systems, Quality, & Security Engineering||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
The Pyxis team is looking for a System Development Engineer with a passion for automation/CICD. The AWS Pyxis team builds and provides operational support for internal tools used by developers across AWS. Our systems development engineers work in a fast-paced environment across many disciplines, collaborating with other AWS teams to deliver cutting-edge services for our customers. Pyxis team members own the scaling and management of services across all AWS regions, including regions supporting the US Government. The candidate must be passionate about both development and operations, and have a strong desire to learn about Amazon's development lifecycle. This is a true DevOps role; you will be both allowed and expected to follow problems all the way to the end and work on implementing real solutions- not just quick fixes. A candidate who wants to go deep and understand how these large systems work will get a chance to excel in this position. The candidate is expected to be proficient in a modern programming language such as Python, Java, or Ruby.
A Pyxis System Development Engineer will:
• Develop and deploy operational tools to automate processes and reduce operational overhead
• Work with other engineers to build and manage massively scaled services
• Work with other engineers to diagnose and resolve customer issues
• Track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
• Collaborate with some of the leading minds in distributed systems
The candidate should be familiar with Linux, including the following:
• Various distros and their corresponding package management tools
• Permissions and permissions management
• System logging and auditing
• Log parsing using grep, awk, sed, cut, tr, etc
• Remote access via ssh
• Knowledge of procfs & sysfs
• Linux tools (ip, ifconfig, netstat, tcpdump, strace, netcat, ping, telnet, etc)
• System Monitoring Tools (top, *stat tools, etc)
• DNS and tools (bind, host, dig, nslookup, etc)
• Runlevel management tools (systemd, rc.d, inittab, chkconfig, etc)
The candidate should also be familiar with generic development tools and best practices:
• Git (or other CM tools)
• Agile development
• CICD or development pipelines
This position requires that applicant selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain a TS/SCI US Government clearance.
In compliance with the U.S. government requirement that employees of its contractors, and employees who work on or in connection with U.S government contracts must receive the COVID-19 vaccine, this position may require that the candidate selected be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. A person is considered fully vaccinated by completing the full regimen of the COVID-19 vaccine (two doses for Pfizer or Moderna and one dose for Johnson & Johnson).
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Job can work out of Herndon, VA, Arlington, VA, Denver, CO, or Seattle, WA
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Demonstrated knowledge with the Linux Operating System and its command line tools
• Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field or relevant work experience.
• Have a passion for automation
• Ability to perform basic technical troubleshooting.
• Have a strong desire to learn
• Ability to work with peers to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
• Some distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience
• Familiarity with AWS services
• Obsession with delivering highly available and performant systems that surpass customer expectations
• Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.