|Category||Operations, IT, & Support Engineering||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Sr. Electrical Engineer Manager to lead the HV/MV electrical design group and become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center foot print.
Engineers at Amazon work to design resilient, cost effective electrical distribution systems. As engineers at Amazon we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to Sr. Management and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs. As an engineer at Amazon you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on.
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
We are looking for substation engineers with hands on electrical design experience. If you can design a substation, have an understanding of the critical needs for a data center and their relationship to substation engineering, you may be a good fit. As we grow we are structuring our team to own more of our engineering in house. Engineers will be responsible for taking designs from concept to the permit and construction document set. You must be capable of defining critical equipment specifications and approving equipment submittals. Engineers will directly support construction and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and ultimately turnover. You will be relied on as a subject matter expert in the electrical engineering field. At Amazon we support continued learning opportunities and heavily focus on continued employee development.
At Amazon teamwork is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As an electrical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Amazon has a global presence. As this position is based out of Virginia, travel to our head office in Seattle will be required. Travel should be up to 20% of your time, initially between Virginia and Seattle. International support will be part of the job, and some international travel will be necessary. Support could consist of working on international teams and could require developing schematic and design document packages. An understanding of international electrical design requirements is helpful but not necessary.
Responsibilities of the Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager
The Sr. Electrical Engineer Manager will be responsible for the following:
• Leading a team of HV/MV engineers in the design of data center critical infrastructure systems.
• Facilitating weekly meetings with staff, resource planning, evaluating external consultants, addressing design issues and be responsible for the quality of HV/MV engineering designs.
• Drive process improvements within your team.
• Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data center.
• Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
• Participate in site selection reviews.
• Data center substation electrical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
• Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
• Work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate electrical equipment.
• Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
• Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
• Review and approval of equipment submittals.
• Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
• Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
• Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
• Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
• Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
• Bachelor's degree in an electrical engineering, or 12+ years of related electrical experience including a minimum of 5 years of substation design experience.
• Cumulative 7+ years of experience with industrial or commercial electrical design experience.
• Minimum of 5 years managing a team of engineers.
• Minimum of 5 years experience developing design documentation (plans, specifications, etc) for construction and/or permitting.
• 3+ years of experience directly related to substation design supporting data center or mission critical facilities.
• Professional Engineering License.
• Excellent understanding of the National Electrical Code.
• Solid understanding of critical data center electrical equipment.
• Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
• Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
• Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
• Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
• An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
• The ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
• Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
• Detailed understanding of diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units.
• Basic understanding of mechanical equipment and system design.
• Previous consultant negotiation and management skills associated with design and project execution.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
• Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, IBC, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.