|Category||Project/Program/Product Management--Technical||Job type||Full Time|
|Country||United States of America|
Do you want to help make Alexa smarter for our users? How about developing a massive scale Datalake that can help improve people's day to day life such as grocery ordering, music playing, smart home control, etc? At Alexa's Secure AI Foundations Data (SAIF Data), we build services that enable secure, fast, and massive scale machine learning, helping to make Alexa the world's fastest developing and most engaging voice assistant.
SAIF Data services ingest data at the exabyte scale, enable ML components to discover data and create streaming data preparation pipelines for continuous training. We have micro services scaling to 100Ks of TPS, stringent SLAs at 10's of millisecond latency and 99.9999% availability rate.
We're an organization that takes career growth seriously. Our managers and leadership care about your personal goals. We value open communication, whether it is in regards to what you need to accomplish for your career goals (such as a promotion) or what we as an organization can improve to better support our teammates and provide the best possible work environment.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive working environment, build good relationships with each other, and encourage knowledge sharing throughout our organization. We help team members when they feel stuck and we want to make sure everyone feels included.
Machine learning experience is not required as we build services for ML scientists, but you can learn a lot about machine learning and AI by working with us. If you do have expertise in ML, you will be able to help us obsess over what our customers need most!
About the role
We are seeking a strong Technical Program Manager within the Data eXperience (DX) organization. The DX team enables Alexa machine learning scientists, software engineers and BI analysts to securely, easily, quickly and cost-efficiently access data in the vast Alexa data lake. This role is a highly visible position and responsible for managing multiple projects and driving results across various teams across the organization.
As a member of the DX team, you play a critical role in delivering the life blood of AI - data - to the Alexa AI community to help tackle the most cutting edge conversational AI problems at the largest scale few places in the world can match. Alexa scientists rely on DX for all their data needs, we serve 500 PB in multiple formats in our feature stores and we build and manage variety of products to discover, visualize, explore and get insights from our exabyte data lakes.
You will work in a supportive environment across all stages of an agile software development lifecycle, including architecture design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You will help the team to build products that are bedrock to Alexa AI model using AWS at a massive scale found nowhere else. Your efforts will support the successful and well-loved Alexa powered products. Our combination of challenging technical problems, critical services, and a quickly growing organization will provide you with unique opportunities for career growth.
What you'll be doing:
• Define, drive, and deliver critical, large scale, high quality, and operable ML data enabling services and products that satisfy and delight the Alexa ML community and have a substantive impact on the Alexa business.
• We thrive on diversity, this role will be a senior leader in the organization who fosters the culture of inclusion at all levels
• Independently manage and deliver programs and technical projects where strategy or technical solutions may not yet be defined or ambiguous.
• Influence roadmap priorities, features, and engineering process working across multiple Alexa teams.
• Define program requirements and help engineering teams meet goals, accelerating progress by driving timely decisions, clearing blockers, and making trade offs.
• Drive detailed business and technical discussions and alignment through meetings and clear, concise written communication.
• Communicate status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to senior leaders throughout Alexa.
• Understand design approaches to identify and mitigate risks, asking the right technical questions to ensure the right trade-offs are made.
• Improve engineering processes within and across teams to improve the team's efficiency and delivery.
• Build relationships with your customers, partner teams, and the engineers on your team.
Your background and who you are:
* You have experience reliably delivering high-quality, distributed, testable, and scalable . You are driven by delivering value to your customer.
* You have a strong technical background with the mix of operational and leadership experience and can operate on highly ambiguous situations
* You love to work with teams that are always raising the bar. You believe that a team is strongest when it is diverse and includes multiple perspectives.
* You enjoy the challenges of highly technical problems that you define and solve in real time.
* You believe that there are multiple ways to solve a problem, each with different trade-offs. You don't typically think in terms of the \"right\" or \"wrong\" way to do something, but rather the most effective path given the current constraints.
* You are excited by the technical challenges of large scale service development from architectural design, to implementation, to operations.
* You put yourself into your customer's shoes and immerse yourself in the customer experience to understand how to serve them better.
* You've made mistakes in the past, have learned a lot from them, and apply these learnings regularly.
* You want to have an impact on a hugely successful and growing product that improves people's lives.
• 10+ years experience working directly with software engineering teams
• 10+ years experience managing complex technology products
• Good technical understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well within a diverse engineering team
• Experienced in delivering products against plan in a fast-paced, multi-disciplined, distributed-responsibility and often ambiguous environment
• Experience managing the lifecycle of a complex cross-functional program with considerable impact
• Experience driving overall strategy and teams across organizations
• Ability to communicate effectively with executive, technical and non-technical audiences.
• Technically fearless, with a willingness and desire to tackle intrinsically hard problems, venturing beyond comfortable approaches when necessary. Ability to acquire expertise as needed, pioneer new spaces, and inspire others as to what's possible.
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills.
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
• Proven results and a history of project delivery.