|Category||Software Development||Job type||Full Time|
Would you like to work on one of the world's largest transactional distributed systems? How about working with customers and peers from the entire range of Amazon's business on cool new features? Whether you're passionate about building highly scalable and reliable systems or a software developer who likes to solve business problems, Amazon Tax Platform Services is the place for you.
We are responsible for the tax calculation platform, providing the core services that calculate taxes (sales tax and VAT) for all Amazon sales, physical and digital, globally. We thrive on providing the correct tax amounts to the customer at order time, and make sure audit records are stored safely to meet tax law requirements around the globe. Our challenges include staying on top of the complex and ever-changing global tax rates and laws as well as computing calculations correctly and quickly, thousands of times a second, and each one needs to be right.
We are looking for software engineers who thrive on complex problems and relish the challenge of operating complex and mission critical systems under extreme loads. Our systems manage hundreds of millions of records, and respond to millions of service requests per minute. Do you think you are up to the challenge? Or would you like to learn more and stretch your skills and career?
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment lifecycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment. They need to really enjoy working closely with their peers in a group of very smart and talented engineers.
We're looking for people who are smart and can get things done, though the following skill sets provide a good foundation for a quick ramp up to being productive in our Java, Linux and Oracle-based environment. We're looking for a range of experience, from brilliant and motivated new college graduates to technical leaders with battle-tested wisdom.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
• Experience developing software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• 4 to 6 years of experience in the job offered or a related occupation must involve: designing and developing large-scale, distributed software applications, tools, systems and services using Java, C#, or C++, and Object Oriented Design.
• Strong debugging/troubleshooting skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
• A passion towards problem-solving
• Strong decision-making ability
• Must be able to think proactively; excellent follow-through and attention to details. professional experience in commercial or web-scale system software development and delivery
• Track record for being detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
• Experience with agile software development methodologies
• Strong understanding of modern database technology, experience with AWS database products such as DynamoDB
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.