|Category||Systems, Quality, & Security Engineering|
|Country||United States of America|
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading cloud provider, providing virtual infrastructure, storage, networking, messaging, and many other services to customers all over the world. AWS runs a globally distributed environment, operating at massive levels of scale. Businesses, from start-ups to enterprises, run their operations and applications on AWS's multi-tenant infrastructure. Governmental organizations are also looking to and depending on AWS for cloud solutions and services.
AWS Systems Engineers within our team are instrumental in managing the operational load to scale a massive always-on distributed system. We are seeking passionate engineers with strong systems engineering skills who proactively automate away problems and constantly look to improve quality of service for our security operations customers. You will have thrived in operating complex systems, diagnosing and resolving the hardest corner case operations problems. Systems engineers don't just solve problems, they look to engineer services to scale without increasing effort. You are attempting to automate yourself out of a job, knowing that in an always-innovating model, it's impossible to achieve, but fun to try. We know that the really interesting problems are hiding inside this automation challenge.
AWS Security is looking for Systems Engineers to help us deploy and support the security systems that help us raise the security bar for our customers. Our team is tasked with protecting the AWS infrastructure that is used by our national security customers. You'll work side-by-side with our security engineers and service development teams to deploy and maintain the security information and event management (SIEM) platform they use every day. We have a lot of log data to process and we need your help! You'll implement mechanisms to drive our availability metrics up and our latency metrics down. We're need you to \"think big\" and ensure that we're set up to scale for the future. We need you to Invent and Simplify new operational tools to improve the velocity of our Security Operations service customers.
We want someone who will apply their experience as a systems engineer to tell us when we're doing something wrong or when there is a better way to do something. The ideal candidate should be able to:
• Operate within the team of peer engineers with little direct oversight to solve complex systems engineering problems.
• Provide guidance on system architecture and recommend solutions in alignment with systems engineering best practices.
• Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical system failures in high pressure situations to reduce Mean Time to Failure (MTTR)
• Engineer Operational Improvements to reduce operational efforts to Keep the Lights On.
• Troubleshoot unknown-unknown problems into known-known root causes using your holistic knowledge of systems to break the problem down and isolate the cause(s); then drive them to resolution
We're not looking for hands or button pressers -- we're looking for motivated individuals who want to scale security systems and change the way the business operates as a result. You need to be open to new challenges and willing to learn new technologies. In addition to using internal Amazon tooling, we are huge advocates for using public AWS services to build our platform, You should always be thinking, \"how could this work without me involved\" and then working to build those tools to achieve it.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust
• Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science, or equivalent work experience.
• 4 or more years of Linux System Administration experience in a large-scale, mission-critical system
• 2 or more years of Linux systems engineering experience, mechanizing Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OA&M) with Bash or Python
• Deep understanding networking (TCP, UDP, DNS, etc) and network troubleshooting of systems
• 3 or more years of experience with CI/CD practices, processes, and strategies
• 3 or more years of working within a DevOps team with Code and Configuration management tools following industry standard software development life cycle practices
• This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and possess an active ISA/TS security clearance with polygraph.
• Deep understanding of architecting systems within AWS. Bonus points if you've got one of the AWS certifications, like Solutions Architect - Associate or SysOps Administrator - Associate or Developer - Associate.
• Basic understanding of security concepts, including encryption and application security best practices.
• An interest in learning more about security operations and incident response.
• A sense of humor! We work hard to raise the security bar for our customers, but we also know how to laugh.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.