Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. We are situated at the center of all Alexa customer experiences, whether they are traditional customer-initiated speech interactions, or the growing set of Alexa-initiated proactive scenarios such as Routines and Notifications. We connect devices, skills and AI, and orchestrate customer experiences spanning across multiple devices, skills, tasks, users and agents.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to build the next generation architecture for the core Orchestration Planning system and enable new dimensions of customer experiences on Alexa. The initiatives led by this team will have direct impact on tens of millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of developers.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
You will work with the engineering team which shapes core of Alexa engine, and builds capabilities that plays a major role in the evolution of Alexa. Your time with us will be impactful, and your vision, creativeness and engineering output adopted by teams across Amazon and beyond.
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing products, a strong technical ability, project management skills, solid communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You should be comfortable with ambiguity and have a creative flair for achieving the impossible.
• Architect and develop scalable distributed services
• Ownership of projects that operate cross-functionally with multiple engineering, design and product teams
• Hire and develop top engineering talent
• Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against defined schedules and milestones
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• 7+ years experience building production software systems
• 3+ years experience in managing software team
• Experience building scalable infrastructure and distributed systems for high-throughput services
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• OO design/development skills and have experience driving projects from concept to prototype, and finally implementation
• Demonstrated success in peer mentoring and leadership
• Expertise in a variety of programming languages and open-source technologies
• Experience in test driven software development
• Understanding of designing cloud services for scalability, performance and reliability
• Experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interfaces
• Proven engineering leadership in driving operational excellence
• Ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment
• Track record of project delivery for sizable cross-functional projects
• Exceptional customer impact awareness, appreciation and support focus
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non technical peers
Amazon is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.