Amazon Search creates powerful, customer-focused search and advertising solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, our services go to work. We design, develop, and deploy high performance, fault-tolerant distributed search systems used by millions of Amazon customers every day. The Search Knowledge team is transforming Amazon search pages into a shopping pages supplying visitors of Amazon websites worldwide with content they seek during their pre-purchase research, discovery and post-purchase support process.
What will you do?
We are seeking a seasoned Principal Technical Program Manager (TPM) to help us execute effectively on the complex roadmaps spanning multiple business, operations, and development teams. This role is critical to ensuring the success of projects supporting millions of customers in their shopping missions. In this role, you will need to manage cross-functional communication across Amazon globally, identify & mitigate risks to efficient delivery, decompose ambiguous problems into straightforward solutions, prioritize competing opportunities, and drive understanding for engineering teams as well as the executive layer. The ideal candidate will possess a fearless ability to dive deep in a complex technical/operational landscape, push for timely results, and build consensus across organizations. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role. You should be well versed in agile development, standing up and continuously improving processes, and removing obstacles that block development teams. You will be working with product management to define strategy and requirements, identifying and securing commitment from teams across the company for new initiatives, driving consensus on the technical approach, setting timelines, and leading cross-functional development teams from design through delivery.
The role's key responsibilities will include:
• Drive projects that span internal and partner development teams, with global business and operations stakeholders
• Collaborate with senior engineering managers and engineers to architect and develop the best technical and operational design and approach, delivering value quickly to customers
• Design and refine operational processes
• Lead definition, data collection and progress for key metrics.
• Build strong processes and lead a disciplined execution cadence.
• Own project planning and delivery, securing commitment from partner teams to ensure roadmaps and delivery dates align
• Help solve complex technical challenges, identify bottlenecks and dependencies, and unblock teams for execution.
• Be a guardian of top notch customer experience, engage with other teams in the company, evangelizing the team and your project, building relationships and helping identify existing components and technologies that can be leveraged to deliver on our goals
• BS in computer science, electrical engineering or a related technical discipline.
• 10+ years of relevant work experience in internet-related programs and/or technical program management in a software applications environment.
• Experience communicating with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels across multiple business units.
• Experience working with external technology partners and enterprise customers.
• Experience building processes, project management, and release schedules.
• Master's Degree in computer science, electrical engineering or a related technical discipline.
• Experience delivering software using an agile development process.
• Ability to analyze business requirements, write specifications, scope technical requirements, manage multiple software development efforts, drive rigorous testing, and coordinate product launch.
• Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional, cross-organization teams to negotiate and assemble project plans, secure commitments on deliverables, and resolve blocking issues.
• Demonstrated passion for understanding ambiguous, complex problems and driving high-quality, innovative, and robust technical solutions
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience building solutions in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
• Experience with agile/iterative development and program management methodologies
• Exceptional stakeholder management and executive presentation skills.
• Ability to navigate ambiguity.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills with a strong track record of strong delivery skills